Monday, September 22, 2014

First Week in the Field

      Alrighty, where do I even begin. My area is four hours hours outside the capital in an town called Asuncion Mita. Its a super laid back place, but it's crazy hot here. It's the hottest place in the mission, so at least I know it can't get any worse.My companion's name is Elder Mann and he's from Draper UT and he's been out in the mission for 16 months but this is his first time leaving the capital. So we've taught a whole bunch of lessons and we have two baptismal dates so far. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures for you but this is only my first 
p-day so I don't have any pictures yet. We did a service project one day where we built a fence for some member. The branch here is pretty strong but there are tons of less active members. The retention is one in eight so there like 120 people that go to church and 600 who don't. Our goal is to make the branch into a ward by the end of the year and I think we can do it. Mom you would be so proud of me. I've eaten a banana, a tomato and  guacamole so far and I'm sure I'll continue to eat foods I don't like. We eat at the branch presidents house for lunch and dinner and usually its eggs beans and rice for every dinner and a salad, rice and some sort of meat for lunch. Since we're opening an new area, we didn't have much money for food so breakfast has been bread everyday so far. We teach lots of lessons and get into almost half the houses we knock on. The ward members are super nice and are always willing to help us out. I was super happy to hear about Jayden's mission call and that you all had lots of fun at homecoming. Chase good job making sure mom and Shelby got plenty wet at the homecoming parade. I'm sure it was lots of fun to go up to Mackay and see the family.  The people here are crazy drivers too and there are dogs all over the street. So far none of them have been mean but I'm still pretty scared of them. I didn't have to speak in Sacrament but I'm sure its only a matter of time. Craziest culture thing is, I don't know probably just the way people live here. Best spiritual moment is when I was able to bear testimony in Spanish and feel the spirit there with me. The language is not what I learned in the MTC, I swear. Its super hard to communicate with anyone and so I don't do a whole lot of talking but I'm trying, I promise. I think we might be heading over to the border today because we're only like an hour away. Mom, my package came this week I haven't gotten it yet but I will tomorrow.  I love you all so much and hope you're having fun in school. I still have a tiny bit of time so here's some more.. It's so hot right now I'm dying. My shirts have all already been destroyed and I think I'm melting all the time but whatever. I can only take cold showers but that's okay because I don't think I would want anything else right now. I am covered in bug bites but they don't itch and they're not coming form my bed so that's some really good news. I got to eat some ice cream this week.  That's where I ate the banana and It was heaven. That's probably one of the things I miss most about the CCM, being able to have ice cream everyday. Like I said the language isn't coming super easy. I understand a lot more than I can say and I could probably do better, I just need to have more faith in myself and push myself to try more. I kind of wish my comp was a Latino so I would have no choice but to speak Spanish but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I love you guys so much and really missed you this week. I got homesick again this morning but I,m doing okay now. Love you guys a ton. Love Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment